Monday, January 5, 2015

4th letter from Lelystad, Nederland -- Week 28

Now behold, this is Elder Steenblik.  Hear him.  (Ben came up with this caption.) 
Amsterdam
New Year's Eve in Lelystad, Netherlands
Ball so hard.  Elder Benjamin Steenblik and Elder Jeremy DeWitt

Man, it has been a crazy week here in Holland!
Happy New Year!!!!!!
This week we have been doing a ton of finding.  Knocking millions of doors and talking to people on the streets.  We made a couple of appointments for this upcoming week that we are pumped about.
On Wednesday, we had interviews with President and Sister Robinson.  Unfortunately, we did not receive i-Pads like I was hoping for haha, but it was fun to talk with them.  It was just a super chill interview and after that we had our district meeting.  Then we had to go straight home! Since the Dutch go so freaking hardcore with New Year’s Eve, we had to be in our apartments by 4 PM.  We ended up watching some church movies.  Yippeeeee! Some members made us oliebollen, which is like a fried dough that is super delicious and fattening.  I had 14 for dinner and then 5 more for breakfast the next day.  I don't know how I am not dead or just plain fat yet.  We tried to take a nap, but there were so many dang fireworks going off it was impossible! Which brings me to my next point.  HOLY SCHNIKES!!!! Fireworks here are only legal once a year so everyone just goes nuts on New Year's Eve.  It sounded like we were in a war zone!! When midnight came, this place lit up! I can't even begin to tell you how many fireworks were going off.  Words cannot describe its awesomeness.  It was literally one of the top 10 coolest things I have ever seen in my life.  And I'm not just blowin' smoke.  Like, WOW!
On New Year's Day, I went on exchanges to The Hauge with Elder Torniainen.  He comes from the mediocre land of Finland!! Ha, just kidding, Finland is awesome.  When we exchanged, we met up in Amsterdam and had lunch there.  We took one step out of the train station and were immediately punched in the face with the smell of weed.  It was bad! That whole city reeks of marijuana.  We went and got fries and they even had, get this, weed fry sauce!!! Mmmm tasty, haha.  We saw where all the red light districts were and what not.  I wonder who would win in a "worst city in the world off" Vegas, or Amsterdam? Elder Torniainen and I had an awesome day together.  We had a lot of fun and found a ton of potential investigators.
This week I had the chance to give my first priesthood blessing in Dutch! It was a little rough around the edges, but it was a super cool experience.  We have also been going through our area book and looking up some of the old investigators this week.  We are still trying to find that "golden investigator." This next week is going to be another long week of knocking doors and finding.
I hope that you all had a lovely New Year's Eve and have the best year that you could ever imagine! If you can dream it, you can do it!!!
                                        -Elder Steenblik

No comments:

Post a Comment