Monday, September 22, 2014

7th letter from Leuven, Belgium -- Week 13

Elder Benjamin Steenblik
Elder Benjamin Steenblik

Elder Benjamin Steenblik
Sup world?

The computer is fixed!! Now I can get back on track of emailing every Monday. 

One night this week, we helped a member do some service.  We were going to go help him move some stones and figured we would just help him with some small bricks in his garden or something.  It ended up being like a 3 hour project of carrying HUGE cinder blocks down some stairs.  We moved so much weight that it's not even funny! My body is still feeling it and probably will for the next 2 years, but it was all worth it in the end because his wife is Chinese, and that only means one thing.... Chinese food! I have been craving me some Chinese food since the day I got here, and I finally got it.  It was the bomb!! 

Ever since school started a couple of weeks ago, there is so many people in Leuven! It is basically a party city.  Everywhere you go, there is some concert or event going on or fireworks going off for who knows what reason. 

Every time we are waiting at a bus or train station, at least 3 people will come up and ask us what bus or train to take because the bus drivers basically dress like we do.  Most people here just think we are bus drivers I guess.  We also get a lot of people who come tell us to go give a car a ticket or they report stuff to us because they think we are police officers.  Sweet!!!

My most recent language fail occurred this past week.  I had the word for great apostasy wrong and I was saying that after Jesus died, the world fell into a great big trash.   Oopsie-daisy!!!!

 I'll be straight up. This past week as far as missionary work goes has has been horrible.  It was one of those weeks where nothing went our way.  All of our appointments fell through and nobody was home when we went contacting.  I feel like absolutely nothing got accomplished.  Sometimes we will spend 2 and a half hours going out to one of our referrals, and they won't be home.  We have gotten a ton of referrals, so hopefully we will be able to at least get into contact with some of them and pick the work up.  There is one good thing, one of the less active families that we have been working with got the priesthood yesterday! That was really cool, so now there is 2 more priesthood holders in the Leuven ward. 

Another cool experience I had was in one of our lessons with an inactive man named Johnny.  The last time we had an appointment with him was on my 2nd day here in Belgium.  I remember in that lesson that I had no idea what was going on or what the scriptures that we were reading were about.  As we had this lesson last week, I kept having flashbacks to that lesson and how lost I was.  It showed me how far I have come in the language!  This time, I understood more what we were saying and what we were reading.  Of course I still didn't understand every little thing, but a lot more than on day 2.  The Lord truly has blessed me with the language and that experience showed me that. 

Well, that's all for this week.  I hope you all have a splended week with whateves yalls be doin.  

Deuces,

- Elder Steenblik

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment