Wednesday, July 30, 2014

5th letter from MTC -- Week 5

Naturally, when I see something that says 
"Do Not Enter".... I must enter!! 
(And if it says "Don't Touch"....Guess who has to touch it....
That's right, Elder Benjamin Steenblik!!)

Elder Benajmin Steenblik with his laundry bag.  
(I'm a tad bit concerned that his clean clothes 
are shoved in the bottom of that bag!!  
Thank goodness for wrinkle-free shirts.)

Me and my boii, Dru stompin' the yard here in Provo.  
Elder Benjamin Steenblik and Elder Andrew Harless 
have been friends in the Willow Canyon 5th Ward
 since Ben was 1 and Andrew was 2.

Yea!!!!!!  I am super juiced because I leave on Monday!  Our flight leaves on Monday, August 4, 2014 at 11 a.m.  The MTC has been awesome, but it's time for some Netherlands!!!! I am ready to get outside of these walls!

I got to see one of my BFF's, Elder Andrew Harless here at the MTC.  We saw each other on our temple walk on Sunday.  Yes we did make a big scene and yes people were watching, but that's okay.  HA HA!!  It was nice to be able to talk to him before I leave.  We reminisced of the good ol' shenanigans that we used to participate in.

Hey, funny Dutch story for ya.  So, in Dutch there are words that sound a liiiiiitle bit different, but have completely different meanings.  Long story short, I finally found out that I had been pronouncing a word just a little bit wrong. That changed the word from choices, to chastity.  So for the past 5 weeks, I have been telling our investigators that we are allowed to make our own chastity and that we are happy for the good chastity that they made.  Ha Ha...whoops!!!!  I'm sure there will be countless more times that I say something totally wrong that will be funny.  I'll keep y'all updated.

There is also another Dutch word that you have to roll the R with, but it isn't like Spanish where you roll it with your tongue.  You roll it with flem and it gross.  We were all trying to do it at the same time and you should have heard the noises coming out of our classroom.  It was honestly one of the strangest noises I have ever heard.  I felt like Elder Calhoun from "The Best Two Years."  One of the times I tried, I actually did it, but it was immediately followed by a great big gag.  You know you're speaking good Dutch if you are gagging yourself.

Elder Calhoun in "The Best Two Years."
This week our lessons with our investigators have been awesome.  In a lesson the other day, we got there and he started asking more questions about Christ.  We totally bagged our lesson and put together a lesson on Christ right on the spot.  We were truly listening to what the Spirit wanted us to teach.  It was one of best lessons we have ever had to give.

I love my district so much.  We are all so unique and different than each other, but that's what makes it awesome!  I have had some good times with all of them and I will miss them when we get out to the field.

This week, we got a new Dutchie district that is going to Suriname.  It makes me feel like a boss when they ask me Dutch advice.  Ha Ha!!!!!

I just barley got a hair cut and it was probably one of the scariest moments of my life.  I can't even tell you some of the haircuts I have seen come out of that place.  They look like a "Dumb and Dumber" pumpkin pie hair-cutted freak, but I had faith.  Faith without works is dead so I had to act on that faith.  Not gonna lie, it was one of the most painful experiences of my life, but it doesn't look completely horrible!  Boom...Glass half full.

This is what a pumpkin pie hair-cutted freak looks like.
Well, I am almost to Holland.  Just gotta stick out these last couple of days in the good ol' U-S-of-A. Thanks to everyone for all of your love and support!  Ik you van vlees!  Vlees is goed!

Elder Steenblik

No comments:

Post a Comment