Monday, October 27, 2014

12th letter from Leuven, Belgium -- Week 18

District bake-off.  Can you guess which one is ours? That's right, the pile of uncooked food.  We took last place!
We found a fountain that shot a stream of water back and forth.  I had the genius idea to catch some in my mouth.  It didn't work as planned.
We made sushi. Hoooooow super hard core is that?!
Mom, here is the view from my window that you have been dying to see.  Haha
Hey, yaaalll,

So, this week hasn't been as crazy of a week as the past couple of weeks, but has still been awesome! 

On Tuesday, we had a district bake off at our district meeting.  It was super awesome! Of course the Sisters won and we came in last. No surprise there! Look at the picture and see if you can tell which one was ours! Haha.  After the district meeting, I had an exchange with Elder Clement here in Leuven.  We had a big list of like 30 referrals from the Facebook project that we had to call.  After the meeting we just stayed at the church and updated all of them on the computer and called everyone.  I was at the church from 9 in the morning until 6 that evening and I have to admit... I wanted to be out on the streets knocking doors.  I got a sweet taste of what it would be like to be an office Elder, but I think the Lord knows that if he ever made me an office Elder, this mission would probably shut down so I don't need to worry about that! 

This past week was freezing cold and I'm surprised it didn't snow! What stinks about the weather here is when it is freezing cold, it just rain and then you get wet and it freezes.  The weather here is as unpredictable as Utah! One day it will be freezing cold, and the next will be nice and sunny. 

Two days ago, I swallowed and it kind of hurt and just thought, "crap I'm going to get sick" and sure enough, a couple hours later my throat was burning.  Then when I woke up in the morning, it killed, so I am a tad bit sick at the moment.  My body is just fatigued and tired, but the work of the Lord must go on! One bright side to this is that my voice has gotten a whole octave deeper, so that is pretty cool.

We had a lesson with an inactive family this week and they are so awesome.   They are probably around 60 years old and they pulled out a photo book of all of the missionaries they have met and photos from their baptism back when they were in their 20's.  They love the missionaries! We went over to their house and talked with them and showed them pictures of our family and friends and gave a lesson about the shield of faith.  We made a shield out of cardboard and wrapped it in tinfoil, so it was pretty legit. 

Oh, my gosh!! one of the families in our ward lives next to a sugar factory.  You would think a sugar factory smells awesome right? Heck to the no! Oh man, the whole city smells from it! It is even worse than the smell here in Leuven.  Here is the absolute best way I can describe it, and it is pretty dead on.  One step you take it will smell like old kitchen garbage, the next step will smell like rotten peanut butter, and on the 3rd step you smell poop, and then the pattern restarts all over again.  We ran to the bus stop just to try to get away from the horrible smell and we couldn't escape it.  It is by far the worst smelling city I have ever been in and all because of a SUGAR factory.  Who knew?!

Today we have another zone P-day in Antwerpen playing football and jazz.  It is the last p day of the transfer so everyone will be saying their goodbyes.

So, nothing too special happened this week.  Elder Losee is getting transferred up to the Netherlands on Wednesday and I will be getting a new companion.  That should be very interesting! I am excited to meet him and show him around the beautiful area that we serve in.  Well, that is basically all I got. Tot Maandag! 
                                                               -Elder Steenblik

No comments:

Post a Comment