Tuesday, October 14, 2014

10th letter from Leuven, Belgium -- Week 16

Elder Benjamin Steenblik
I LIKE waffles!!!!!!
This is the canal our boat tour was on.
One of the enormous buildings in the city of Burges.

It has been a pretty crazy week here in Belgium! Oh man, where to start. 

So, on Wednesday, we had interviews with President and Sister Robinson.  It was in the city of Turnhout. We had to be at the church by 9 in the morning, so on Tuesday night, we slept over at the Turnhout Elder's apartment and so did the 4 missionaries from Genk.  We had 8 missionaries in one apartment! It was a blast and pretty crazy as you can probably imagine.  The next morning, we had our interviews and we have them every 3 months.  President and Sister Robinson are super awesome, so it was fun to talk with them.  On the way home, our bus got stuck in traffic so we sat on the same bus for 3 and a half hours.  Ahhhh man, it was horrible! It was a million degrees inside and smelled very strongly of aged B.O.  Haha.  I was very happy to get off that bus!

For P day, we went to the beautiful city of Bruges.  Holy cow, it was amazing and such a cool city!! There are big stinkin' castles and cathedrals everywhere you look.  We spent the day with the Bruges Elders, Elder Childs and Elder Henderson.  We took a boat ride through the canals and it was siiiiick! I have a picture above.

On Saturday, I was in Genk on exchanges with Elder Elkins.  In the morning, we were in a neighborhood knocking doors because we had an hour until our bus came.  When we got back to our bikes, we found that he had a flat tire.  The bus was going to leave in 15 minutes and we were still way far away, so we parked his bike and just took off running.  As soon as we started running, it began pouring rain on us.  We sprinted the whole freaking way and barley made it to the bus! We got to the bus and just collapsed.  We finally got to the house that we were supposed to look up, and they weren't interested, but we figured that the Lord didn't send us all the way out there for nothing, so we just knocked on doors in the area.  We found a lot of potential investigators and scheduled a lot of lessons with them for next week.  We contacted and knocked doors all day.  I don't even know how many doors we knocked on that day, but we were both exhausted. When we got back to the apartment that night, I just fell down dead tired.  My body ached from a long day of doing work and I felt like I could sleep for a year.  That night in my prayer, I could honestly say "Lord, I gave today everything that I had."  Then it got me thinking about my mission in general.  I want to serve my mission in a way that when I am on that plane ride home, I can look out that window and honestly say, "Lord, I gave it everything that I had."  The only way that can happen, is by WORK! It sure isn't easy, but it is well worth it. 

We have our temple conference this week! We only get to go to the temple every 6 months, so it's a pretty big deal.  We are headed up to Nederland later today to spend the night in Rotterdam.  I am super excited to get to go to the temple! It will all be in Dutch too so that will be really cool.  I have missed having a temple so close.  

Well, a very action packed week it has been and with temple conference coming up, this week should be the same.  I am doing just peachy here in the land of the waffles! 

Love you all,
                                                                                        -Elder Steenblik 

No comments:

Post a Comment